Thursday, September 12, 2013

Thin Strip Jig



   I just started a project that required me to rip a bunch of equally thin strips of oak.  I am going to make another project where I soak, or steam the oak and weave it. 

  In the past I have cut the strips by eye and they have been close (ish) in thickness.  This time I decided that since this type of project was coming around again I would take the time and make a Jig to enable me to easily set up the saw for cutting the thin pieces of wood.  In my experience it is not accurate or all that safe to set the fence 1/8 of an inch from the whirling saw blade and have my ultra thin cut off against the fence, hence this jig.

   
jig in use, before it got its RED coat of paint.  (all my jigs are painted red)

  The Thin Strip Jig enables me to have the thin cut off on the outside of the blade and though the board gets thinner each time I use the jig as a stop so I can slide the board and fence over each time and get  the same thickness ( or thinness) of wood strip.

  
Underside of the jig.
 I used a 3/4 in bar from a very cheap feather board. It provided the bar and the hardware, screws etc.

  
    I of course do not claim to have invented any part of this jig. The internet is filled with plans for this type of jig, and if you want to spent the money there are several suppliers that will sell you a version of this jig. (in plastic) What I claim is that it is quick and easy to make and will find a use in the shop for years.  The body of the jig is left over edge glued oak from a box I made a while ago, and the bar is also left over from a feather board that I quit using because it slipped under pressure once too often.  For this use it is not under pressure and so works fine.

  I encourage wood workers to make jigs and fixtures to improve their efficiency and safety.  The last time I had a shop accident it was while trying to cut thin strips of wood, from too thin a board.  I will not make that mistake again, and with a accurate jig I shouldn't find myself pushing my luck on this type of task again.  (once bitten, twice shy.)


  This is the jig after it received its compulsory RED paint job.  All my Jigs are RED, it makes them easy to find in the chaos that is sometimes my shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment