Friday, September 4, 2015

Three Shop Projects

I have a photograph that shows life in my shop almost perfectly. Last Friday I was working on bicycles, because I can, and this Friday I have worked on a canoe paddle, two boxes for repair and another polissoir. 


    10,000 Villages in Hamilton provides me with a steady stream of wooden boxes that need adjustment or outright repair. It is amazing how many tools I use to repair these boxes. I use needle files, rasps, planes and chisels on nearly every box. On the larger of the two boxes I used my Rockwell Bench Jaw, this bench fixture has become a 'go to' bench vise for many tasks of this sort. 

Rockwell BenchJaw Hands-Free Bench Vise RK9006

  The other thing on that canoe paddle is a polissoir, 6 1/4 inches long by 1 1/4 inch in diameter.


 This polissoir is made from new broom straw and bound with waxed thread which has its knots glued solid. After shaping the ends I soaked them with pure bee's wax. If anyone is interested in buying a polissoir I am selling them for $20.00 PLUS shipping costs. I can be contacted at walwoodwork@gmail.com to make arrangements, put polissoir in the re:line so your inquiry doesn't get lost.

 cheers, ianw


No comments:

Post a Comment